Monday, October 6, 2008

Everything you hoped for?

One of the common questions I have gotten in recent days, which I may have mentioned before, is: "Is it [priesthood] everything you hoped it would be?" Now, an easy answer to this question could be yes or no. However, I find that my response to this question is not as easy as a one word answer. As I entered priesthood and my first assignment I went in without any preconceived notions of how things 'should be' or hoping things would be like 'this' or 'that'. Rather, I entered this life just wondering and open to how the Spirit would unfold and what the lived experience of priesthood is like. I have found that any time in the past where I have anticipated, hoped, or longed for things to be a particular way I only ended up with egg on my face and found disappointment rather that fulfillment. So, I only came in with the common hopes, that this life would be fulfilling and life-giving.

I can say with certain confidence today that I look forward to how the spirit will unfold each day, what each day will bring and the challenges or joys or other interesting things that will happen. No one day is like another here and I love that about this life. Priesthood is diverse and full of variety and in the mix of all that, this life challenges you because you have to constantly be on your game.

I have been touched at how the Spirit has been unfolding at Mass, in the Confessional, and during the times I work with the youth group and witness young people strive to come to know the Lord. I have also had those times that required further discernment and I have also had those times that have struck me like, "Oh, so this is what it's like? Wow!"

So to answer to answer the original question: yes, things are going well, and the Spirit is certainly in many ways, making itself manifest and present and each day unfolding in new ways! I love what I do and I am fulfilled.

I would encourage anyone in any walk of life, to let themselves be surprised. Don't hope for many specific things but hope for the fulfillment and life sustaining Spirit of God that comes from doing His will. In addition be open and willing and attentive to the Spirit is unfolding and look forward to new adventures that can come with each passing day.

--------------------------------
I also wish to offer the following congratulations:

Congratulations to the 2nd Year theologians at St. Mary Seminary on being installed Lectors last Friday, October 3rd. - Congratulations to Peter, Gregg, and John!

Congratulations also to the 5th Year theologians who have been officially called to Holy Orders and will be ordained deacons on Saturday, October 25th at 10am at the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist in Cleveland! Congratulations to Chris, Kevin, Anthony, Matt, and Sean!

No comments: