Friday, November 20, 2009

102.1 FM in Cleveland... it's too soon for Christmas music!

Ok, so everyone I'm sure has an opinion on this and you may find that you disagree with me... I'll say it anyway!

102.1FM playing Christmas music today, it's just too soon! It only further enforces an idea of celebrating Christmas now and getting it over with! It isn't even Thanksgiving yet!!! I remember the days when Christmas music and other things did not start until the day after Thanksgiving, giving us a chance to be thankful, to celebrate and give the holiday of Thanksgiving due process and time, rather than turning it into "ThanksPreChristmasgiving Day" I'm not opposed to playing Christmas music after Thanksgiving Day but I am concerned about a danger in overdoing it!

By celebrating too soon, we end-up taking the celebrating out of the celebration. What I mean by this is that when Christmas day actually rolls around, the trees and other decorations are on the front lawn by the next day and no one seems to care. In the end we treat Christmas more like a time to get through and over rather than something sacred to be treasured. There is no time to cherish the gift of the birth of Christ, to really take to heart and ponder the deeper meaning of the Feast.

I hope that we take time to really engage the deeper meaning of each holiday and feast in it's proper time; we don't want the birth of Christ, the most important thing besides Jesus' death and resurrection, to become one more thing we just 'get through' because we're sick of it by December 25th. Let us not, miss the Christmas season which starts on December 25th... not today 102.1!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
MJ said...

I totally agree. On my drive to work I switch around among stations and everytime I get to 102.1 I quickly change the station. I also don't like seeing Christmas decorations at stores or outside peoples homes yet. Wait until after Thanksgiving!!