Monday, November 2, 2009

TRUSTING in the Holy Spirit

This week I, along with the nun I work with, Sr. Denise Marie :), find ourselves just a few days away from our annual High School Youth Group Retreat. It always amazes me when this time comes around, how much work we have done and how much is yet to be done. Overall, in these sorts of times, I am reminded of how much we are called to trust in the Lord. Yeah, I know in some ways its simple, and I'm sure you and I hear this all the time, "just trust in the Lord." However, how seriously do we do this? It's easy for us to say this but to do it ourselves is another thing.

I am taking this time to renew my trust in God. This year for the retreat there still so much to do and we've faced new obstacles. However, I know that this retreat will happen the way God wants it to happen. I know the work that needs will get done. The goal is to remind myself in the moments I feel weak or faint in terms of trust, that I need to dig a little deeper and trust a little harder because ultimately God is in charge, I am not. I am an instrument of God's grace, not God's grace itself. It is trust in God and God working through us by way of the Holy Spirit that allows us to rely upon his grace and do the work we are called to do. This trust also allows us to be reassured that everything is going to not only work-out, but will happen the way God intended it to happen, not the way I or anybody else intended. I know if I do my part as a priest, God will indeed do His part, the Holy Spirit will flow through me, and use me to do what God wants.

How often do we take the opportunity to renew this trust in the Lord that we have? Keeping in mind of course, that to trust in the Lord implies we are also open to how God wants things to unfold, and we shouldn't be disappointed if the end product is different from our original vision.

So yes, trust in the Lord, allow God to use you, and do not be afraid to let God be in the driver's seat.

No comments: