Thursday, June 12, 2008

How's it going? Do you like it?

How's it going? Do you like it [St. Charles]? These are two questions that I have heard frequently over the past several days. To begin with, my new life as a parochial vicar at St. Charles Borromeo in Parma, OH, I don't like it... I LOVE IT!!! I enjoy what I do as a priest more than I ever thought I would. Even in the times when I have felt stress or confusion during my beginning days here, the Lord has brought me through it and carried me and allowed me to experience His grace in ways unimaginable!

My first weekend at St. Charles I found myself at every Mass giving the traditional introductory speech or the "Hi, my name is talk" as it may be more affectionately called! LOL! All the Masses went well this weekend and the reception into the St. Charles family is more than I could have asked for. I have never quite experienced a parish community where people have such a close bond with the Church and not just individual families but generations of families! I found a spirit here that I have not quite experienced before! Overall, I have sensed that I am home!

This week has been fun! I did celebrated my first funeral on Monday - even in death there is grace. On Tuesday I had Mass with the school, the last one on the last day of school - pure fun! I truly love what I do and I think both events again taught me of the vital role of the priest in the lives of others - the comfort for those in pain and the leader for the leaders of tomorrow. Priesthood isn't what I thought it would be... it's better than that!

Now that many of the 'firsts' have take place, it's on to more of sinking into the routine and flow of this place in the best way possible. What adventures will take place tomorrow, next week, next month, next year? I couldn't tell you... and I can't wait!

Take your candle and go light your world...

1 comment:

Adoro said...

Please keep writing, Father. I (and others, I'm sure) are finding your experiences to be fascinating. No doubt that you are influencing others. I've just added you to my blogroll.

I began blogging a few years ago and have found it to be a wonderful tool of evangelization, and even connection with other Catholics EVERYWHERE. Early on I met with a few local Catholic bloggers, and one of them gave me advice I haven't forgotten and try to live up to as much as I can:

* Respond to EVERY commenter
* Respond in charity
* Be willing to engage in conversation even when that person disagrees.

He was willing to go further than I, but that particular person has a different focus on his blog. He allowed, for example, profanity on his blog. I delete it immediately (it's rare for me to have THAT experience!)

But he also found it to be a way to reach people "on the fringes". I have been humbled to receive emails from well-catechized people as well as those seeking God from both the Catholic and other faiths. Most experiences have been very positive. I hope yours are as well.

Also...I haven't checked to see if you have email posted, but if you don't, if you are interested send me your email so I can forward you the "Catholic Carnival" info. Each week someone hosts a "Carnival" that highlights different Catholic submissions. It's a great way to get traffic to your blog as well as to get the Word of God out there to others.

I hope all continues to go well!

God bless!