Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A vital role.

This past Sunday I was the celebrant for Baptism and welcomed 3 new members of St. Charles into the Church. The cornerstone to my homily that I give is the commitment of the parents and godparents, especially in terms of raising a child in the faith and being the first teacher of the faith. This is the cornerstone for two reasons.

First, because it is an awesome yet at the same time, important and big responsibility on the part of the parents and godparents to raise a child in the faith. This important responsibility requires dedication and commitment and therefore it is extremely important that parents and godparents take this commitment seriously and to be faithful to it.

Second, because I can firmly say that it was through the strength of my parent's faith that I found my vocation to priesthood. Catholicism was central in my upbringing and because a healthy practice of the faith was present, I found the freedom and interest to consider and eventually accept the call to priesthood. It is on this point that I say that a parent can never discount their witness to the faith or expect others to somehow fulfill their role as first teachers and guide.

Furthermore, not only does a family who prays together stay together but a family who has a strong sense of faith allows for their children to be ever more tuned into listening what vocation God is calling them to. Many young people search for purpose and meaning - their vocation - and many adults go through life in state of wondering if they are where God has called them to be. A strong sense of faith and vocation direction begins with the ones who point the direction out to us; parents!

To my brothers and sisters called to married life or who are married: please take this commitment to raising your child in the faith seriously and never give up! Also, do not be afraid!!! Passing on the faith can feel overwhelming at times but this does not mean that it cannot be done! Passing on the faith also does not require that one knows everything about the faith. For no one knows everything about the faith but everyone is growing in faith - even I am!!! The important emphasis is faithfulness. Be faithful and practice your faith to the best of your ability and God will work through you - you are not alone!

Truly: Take your candle and go light your world!!!

No comments: