Thursday, June 19, 2008

Peter the Rock

Every priest is an alter Christus (another Christ). A priest lives out life being and fulfilling the call of an alter Christus and in doing so he is called to bring Christ, to be Christ, and is Christ for the faithful. At the same time, there is an element to priesthood that requires one to be the rock and while God the Father would be considered The Rock, the rock of which I speak is that of St. Peter. St. Peter, our first Pope and the rock upon whom the Lord built the Church.

I celebrated a funeral this morning for just the second time and as I worked with the family and helped them through this difficult period in their life, I sensed the rockiness. In being a Rock what I am saying is that a priest is a witness to the faith and Christ as Peter was. At the same time, the priest brings flesh to the situation. The priest is Christ in the flesh in midst of struggle and strife. The priest puts flesh on the spiritual bones of Christ. In doing so, the priest becomes Christ who people can reach out and touch, a physical witness to the faith, and a rock they can turn to in the midst of turmoil. And so there is this call, this goal to strive for - to be the rock. The one who is not God yet stands in and points to God with his entire being, his entire life.

I am ever more aware that people will look to me as a priest, to be a rock in times when they seek security and peace. And I know I am a rock for them and at the same time I, like St. Peter, am not perfect but I strive towards perfection. I know that there is much room for me to grow. I pray that the Lord continues to grace me with His Spirit, with wisdom, and the courage to endure and persevere along the path of growth.

A priest is an alter Christus and at the same time has the rockiness of St. Peter.

What else can I say other than for all young men, especially those considering the wonderful call to priesthood that this is part of what it means to be a priest. The people will look to you and you will lead them. As Christ you will lead them. As one who has much room to grow and at times are not perfect, people will see your witness and still you will lead them.

I may not be perfect as my heavenly Father is perfect (Mt 6), and I may feel more like Peter the Rock than The Rock and yet I know people will look to me and I will forge ahead and do the best, with God, that I can.

1 comment:

Adoro said...

This is a wonderful post. It must be very humbling, and even overwhelming at time, especially given that you are just starting out.

Praying for you! (And wrote a post about priests this am inspired by our new Associate..)

http://adorotedevote.blogspot.com/2008/06/new-priest.html

God bless!