Tuesday, June 3, 2008

What was it like for the Apostles?

Well my friends, with much anticipation and joy the first day came and the first day went, the second day... Last night was only about 82.2736549% full of sound sleeping - I was excited about the first day at St. Charles. What would happen? What would God have in store for me? What adventures were about to transpire?

Overall, today was quiet but in a good way - this doesn't mean I didn't do anything, either! So don't even go there!!! LOL!

Today started by first packing the last of the necessities at my parent's house and making the drive to St. Charles. I have to admit at the end of 9 years in seminary formation I had no idea I had accumalated so much stuff in my seminary room! I must admit, I see new wisdom to only taking a walking stick, sandles, and 1 tunic!!! It has occured to me that these next four years will certainly involve a renewal of simplicity of life! I guess it's true what 'they' say: K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid).

Although I must admit that over the past week one prevailing thought that has been somewhat at the forefront of my mind: what was it like for the Apostles when they first started out? For myself, although there are some uncertainties as I start out and priesthood fleshes itself out in my life - my uncertainties must be pretty small in comparison to those of the Apostles. I consider myself venturing into uncharted yet charted territory. The Apostles had to work most everything out from celebration to articulation of the faith. At least for myself, I have history, liturgical documents, scriptural commentary, Canon Law and other policies, the wisdom and examples of those who have gone before me, and the vision and direction of a good bishop - all of which aid me in ministry in ways unlike the Apostles. I may not know what will happen next but I walk into the unknown with arsenal. The Apostles really didn't have the same sort of blueprints did they? I'm sure, as I've said before, any uncertainties or queries I may have about how to get started or begin the ministry God has entrusted to me, must be nothing in comparison to the Apostles. At the same time, there is a part of me that resonates with the experience, and feels like I'm entering into their experience in my own way.

Day one of entering into this experience found me as I said packing the last few things and arriving, but then I found myself getting to the usual stuff I suppose anyone would do on their first day - arranging my calendar with different things that will be coming up soon and future weddings and at the same time asking a billion and a half first day questions: where is ____, what is ____, how do I ____, what do I need to know about ___, etc. and so on! But as I sit here, it is joy, and tomorrow is another day, another day filled with opportunities to take my candle and light the world.

Take your candle and go light your world...

Pax te cum!

1 comment:

Father Schnippel said...

Fr. Ed,

Enjoy the newness of it all, really it is a great ride being a priest!